Friday, February 08, 2008

I am on a Diet

I went to the Dr. today and I am on a low fat low carb diet for 10 days to see if we will be able to control my blood sugar through diet and exercise. So on Monday Feb 18th I go to have my blood drawn after fasting and then they will send me to eat and draw my blood two hours later. If I am not able to control it with diet and exercise I will have to be put on insulin. So he will get the results and I will see him on Tuesday to discuss it all and have another ultrasound to determine the size of the baby. I do know that we will not make it to April 16th. I will not go past 38 weeks most likely just to ensure that I don't have over a nine pound baby. He agrees with me that I was borderline with Josey. (I got most of my prenatal care at the health dept). He also said that pregnancy is a great screen for later in life and that this is genetic since I have no other symptoms. So I am at greater risk for diabetes at age 40 or later. So we are going to be using this as a time to look at the families eating habits and eat better so that we will all be healthier. So for my siblings be careful about what you eat and my parents need to be tested to ensure you are okay and watch what you eat.

3 comments:

emma said...

This stinks! I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this but I'm glad they figured this out before the freakishly huge baby decided to make her debut! Also thank goodness for Medicaid!

Melissa Taylor said...

We will be praying for you during the rest of your pregnancy. I hope you can manage it through diet and excersise so that you don't have to have shots - that would really stink. We have been changing our eating habits as well since I joined Weight Watchers...it is not an easy thing to change. Old habits are hard to break!

Kim said...

I am praying that your diet and exercise will help the blood sugar problem without the insulin! But, if you do have to take the insulin, it would only be for a couple of months.

I am glad they caught it, though...you and the baby will be healthier and safer now that they know.

I will continue to pray...I know this must be scary for you.

Kim